A W M Y T H S
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chapter 13: The Korth Flux

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sheep and Using Wool

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sheila M

Sheila M

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2009-11-13

Persona Record
Char Name: Sheila M
Char Race: Part Elf/Part Human
Char Allies: Tir'an

Sheep and Using Wool Empty
PostSubject: Sheep and Using Wool   Sheep and Using Wool EmptyWed May 19, 2010 11:36 pm

1. Player would click on the sheep to get the wool. One would have to have a sickle to shear the sheep unless it is desired to add the tool of mideval sheep shearing clippers. Clippers could be created using the /brew command with iron ore. Sheep shearing would be instant.

2. Wool fleeces could be sold directly to the merchants or could be spun into yarn. We would need a tool such as a spinning wheel or a simple drop spindle for spinning. These could be made using the /brew command with lumber since drop spindles and spinning wheels are usually made out of wood.

3. Carders or wool combs could be part of the process but it might be far too difficult to fool with on Myths. It could be assumed that one has cleaned and combed the wool prepatory to spinning unless these are desired tools to be added. Wool is always cleaned and carded before spinning into yarn. Sheep can be very dirty animals.

4. We would need some sort of loom for weaving. Weaving fabric could be accomplished using a simple loom that would be like a tall upright rectangular frame on a simple stand. Tapestry looms such as the one I am describing are fairly simple in their construction and would be pretty basic in giving the idea.

I believe Garnet or Starheart could come up with these tools as graphics (unless Garrick wants to do the modeling himself) and if they need pictures or descriptions they can certainly ask me since I use them all the time in real life. Drop spindles are more to the point since they are smaller portable hand held tools unless it is desired to have spinning wheels around since they are more picturesque, although not so portable.

I actually take my drop spindle and prepared wool with me in a tote bag to waiting rooms for doctor’s appointments and such to keep my hands busy. Sometimes I take my carders and card the wool and then spin it from a bit of wool fleece that is in its more raw form, right off the sheep. People, especially children, are usually fascinated with the whole process. But once you understand the fundamentals, the process is really very simple and easy since its so repetitive.

It would take longer to spin up enough yarn to weave than it would to shear the sheep of course. Weaving is actually fairly quick by comparison. I wove my first shawl in about a week on my rigid heddle loom, but it took about 6 months to come up with enough handspun yarn even with a spinning wheel, various types of wool that I carded and spun, and spinning frequently at a local museum while talking to the general public.

Last edited by Sheila M on Wed May 19, 2010 11:42 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : grammar and punctuation for clarity)
Back to top Go down

Sheep and Using Wool
Page 1 of 1