A W M Y T H S
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chapter 13: The Korth Flux

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Day's Events Part 1

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sheila M

Sheila M

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2009-11-13

Persona Record
Char Name: Sheila M
Char Race: Part Elf/Part Human
Char Allies: Tir'an

The Day's Events Part 1 Empty
PostSubject: The Day's Events Part 1   The Day's Events Part 1 EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 2:05 pm

I shook my head in bewilderment from the events of the day as I slogged through my duties as the Head of the Department of Harvesting and thought about my new duties as Headmistress of the College of Korth. My body ached and I felt exhaustion creeping into my bones, making my joints shake with fatigue.

Welcoming the quiet contemplation of the Monastic Library in Don Benerel on the way to my island home, I sank down on a seat near the cheering glow of the fireplace. I found myself craving its comfort and accepted the glass of cold refreshing water that Lidia, the attendant on duty, handed me.

Sighing, I held the long stemmed goblet in trembling hands and worked to breathe evenly and calm my stressed body and mind. “How do these things seem to happen to me,” I wondered out loud. Lidia looked over at me from her library station, pausing as she held a stack of books she was sorting. I chuckled at her and told her it had been an eventful day. She nodded, and smiling, resumed her shelving chores.

My mind became lost in thoughts of the day’s events. My day had begun as many had recently. Arising early, I again oversaw the two wagons loaded down with food and other needed provisions taken to the mines to feed the refugees that the Evil Garrick had stranded there from other worlds. I again resolved to find a way to stop the bizarre and destructive actions of the sick and twisted megalomaniac nutjob Garrick. I had little to fight with against him effectively except my faith in Mighty Torrix and the Goddess Ollopa and my own words. I kept praying faithfully each day for guidance, wisdom and their divine intervention as well as thanking them for their blessings and the new greening of a large part of the Badlands.

Not even Garrick could stop my joy in prayer and work, nor would I allow him to squelch my gratitude for dear friends and our ability to share our blessings with those in need. Kel and Grang helped push the carts that the donkeys pulled over the hills to the mine entrance and through the steep tunnels.

The armed and ill concealed hostility that Garrick had helped to foster in the mine made for an uncomfortable atmosphere. I handed out the provisions quickly and efficiently, preaching peace and admonishing the various species of the intentions of Evil Garrick. Many looked doubtful; most looked confused by my words concerning the Malicious One. They all accepted my daily gifts with muttered thanks and hurried away.

Kel and Grang helped me get the carts and the donkeys back to Elven Country. I ate another quick snack and after harvesting the apple trees I found, I headed for the archery field to get in some practice. The Ashanrai Cup would be starting soon and I wanted to be as ready as possible.

Stopping by my office to drop off the load of apples, I found a message waiting for me. I had been appointed the Headmistress of the College of Korth. Why?! I had taught a basic overview of an Alchemy and Cookery class two times. I had no idea how to put together a whole curriculum for various degrees and departments. I had no idea on how the College had functioned anyway; it had always appeared deserted to me when I passed it on the way to the mines. Where would I find the time to squeeze more duties into my day? Maybe I could switch more of the harvesting to the evenings. I gritted my teeth in frustration. There were not enough hours in the day and I would have to bow to the inevitable and find an assistant.

I rubbed my forehead and straightened my shoulders, determined to enjoy my target practice. I could cheer myself up as I always did; by picturing the face of the malicious Garrick on each and every target. Somehow that improved my accuracy by leaps and bounds. I always enjoyed shooting at his imagined eyeballs. Pinning his mouth into immobility also gave me a great deal of secret satisfaction. This really was not the most peaceful state of mind that an Elven official should have as an example to her nation, but I could not seem to help myself after visiting the mine each day and seeing its over crowded conditions. I told no one of my inspiration for excellence during practice.

On the archery field, I helped SilverShadow to clean the targets. We both agreed that people needed to clear their arrows as a courtesy to others. Neo Rousseau soon joined us for a time. Shooting went well and I dutifully cleared my arrows so that our newest Elven citizen Parvaneh could have a clear target as she struggled to shoot. I sent up a quick prayer that the Goddess would grant her an Ollopan Bow soon. A better grade of bow would help I was sure, as would determined practice on her part. The poor girl had spent hours shooting and expended over 800 arrows, but was still unable to hit the target even once despite nearly pressing her nose to the target.

While we shot, Neo was speaking of who was listed as a Defender of the Elven Country. I asked him if my name appeared on that list. He said it could if I wished it. I insisted that it should and so I too am now a Defender. I knew well that if there was a crisis, harvesting or teaching would not be able to occur if our land and people were being destroyed. I was happy to be able to volunteer my skills with my bow.

Once archery practice was finished for the day, I resolved to check out the College and its facilities. On the way I ran into Seran and asked him if he would like to teach a course in the history of Korth. In true human fashion, even though he was part Elven, he wanted to know how much he would be paid. I had no idea as I was not offered any form of payment and told him as much. He agreed to teach the course as needed anyway. I sent up a prayer of gratitude to Mighty Torrix and Graceful Ollopa and thanked Seran.

I looked over the facilities and found the buildings in good repair despite their quiet neglect. They appeared sound and the roofs intact. My small classroom in the Elven province of Aspreith would serve as smaller satellite facility for the larger University. I gave my permission for one empty building to be used for Seran’s Military Education Department and began posting signs for the other departments we hoped to establish and maintain.

While assessing the buildings, I tossed around ideas with Seran on how best to run the college based on the needs of both Prolix and Elven Country.

I glanced up from my work and conversation and noticed that some planks were washing ashore near the north shoreline of the University campus. Surprised, I pointed them out to Seran and asked him, “Where did the wood planks come from? There they are just floating in the water. Was there a shipwreck?”

Then a badly storm-damaged swan boat floated up near the shore. I pointed that out to him and stated how it looked that she’d seen some damage. He asked me in confusion, “Where?” I was about to answer when I saw an Elven body float up behind the swanboat. Alarmed, I rushed into the water to help and pulled the inert body into shore.

From very far away, I heard Seran speaking. “There's no boat. I should know every boat that there is in these waters being the Admiral.” Glancing at the boat and then back at the Elf, I had the nagging sensation there was something familiar. For the life of me, I could not remember why.

The delicate features were that of a woman, tall and slender. I gently laid her on the ground under the shade of a tree, and brushed her long strands of wet hair out of her eyes. She coughed and I helped her turn to get rid of water in her lungs. She breathed raggedly and then coughed more. I helped her as she strove to sit up and knelt beside her in concern.

The woman spoke. "I could feel it. I was so close to finding my children." That sense of familiarity returned, stronger now. “Your children?” I asked. “You are looking for your children?” I sat back on my heels, struggling to think hard in the muddy quagmire that seemed to be my mind.

The woman spoke again. "Yes, there's thousands of them lost." Images came to me then of a half drowned woman floating in the water and of that same woman speaking to me of her children in my island home, of her dashing an empty teacup into the fireplace and handing me a golden bow. “Ollopa? Are you the Goddess Ollopa?

Dimly I heard other voices talking but they made no sense. “Should you tell her there’s no one there or shall I?” It sounded like Seran talking to someone, possibly Hitomi or Rei Ayanami. I could hear female voices but they were whispering and I could not discern their words.

Shoving that aside, I asked, “The Dwarves? You are looking for the Dwarves?” The woman nodded. “That's what your people refer to them, though they call themselves the Dioscuri."

“Dwarves?” Asked Hitomi’s voice from a distance. Rei’s voice spoke too. “What is going on?” Ignoring them for the moment, I studied the woman’s features. I asked her, “The Dioscuri? Where did they go?” The woman looked up at me and smiled. “Fate brings us together again. I've spoken with you before about them.” I gasped, startled. Her smile was like the dawning sun breaking out from the clouds, bright and warm. I could not help but bask in its glow, and feeling unworthy of it, I spoke. “And I have searched for them repeatedly Dear Lady. But I have failed you in finding them.” I hung my head sadly.

“I can feel it in my heart,” she said. “They are near here.” Joy leaped in my chest. “They are? What direction Bright Lady?” More unintelligible whispering ensued. I paid little heed to the whispers in my desire for understanding, even when my thoughts were loaded down like soupy bread dough.

“Their caverns were flooded northwest of here, entirely underwater now.” I nodded. “Yes, I have been in those flooded tunnels Bright Lady. But there is no one there now. Where did they flee to, my Goddess?”

Ollopa pointed toward the Copper Mines entrance, then vanished, along with all remains of the shipwrecked swanboat. Startled, I blinked, feeling as if I had awakened abruptly from a dream. “She is gone!” I looked around, perplexed. “And so is the swanboat.” I stood and turned to regard Seran, Hitomi and Rei Ayanami.

“There was never anyone here,” said Seran, looking at me as if I had lost my mind.
“Yes there was!” I insisted, knowing what I had seen and heard. “It was the Goddess Ollopa.” “Too much sun,” said Seran, overriding my protest.

“She said the wee folk vanished into the copper mines and she has been looking for them,” I said stubbornly. It crossed my mind that I should have asked her to deliver a mighty smackdown to the malicious Garrick and I mentally kicked myself.

Rei stepped over to me, and to my astonishment she slapped my face. “Mistress Sheila, there was no one there!” Unable to stop myself, I reacted automatically and slapped back Rei much harder. “Do not strike me!” I said sternly. She stepped toward me, menacing in her plate armor and pulled out an overkill, its many blades glittering in the sunlight.

I stepped back and she again stepped toward me. “I have done nothing to you, Rei. Cease this!” She stepped toward me again and raised the weapon to strike.

Whipping out my bow and an arrow, I nocked it and fired at Rei, killing her instantly. Sadly looking at her body, I spoke to Seran. “I tried to stop her but she would not listen. I am so sorry Seran.” “Its okay,” he answered.

Relieved at the lack of a scuffle, I changed the subject. “Ollopa stated the Dioscuri went into the Copper Mines. Mayhap I should begin a new search for them there. Would anyone care to join me?” Hitomi eagerly answered that she would and I thanked her. “I was actually hoping you would ask,” Hitomi muttered. “Let’s go then,” said Seran.

And into the mine we went.
Back to top Go down

The Day's Events Part 1
Page 1 of 1